Whether your property is a few acres or 100 acres, we encourage you to help preserve the Taunton River watershed.
Here are some of the many actions that landowners can take:
- Learn how your property provides habitat for the birds, animals, and plants that make the Taunton River watershed special. Assistance to improve wildlife habitat on private property is available from the Mass Wildlife Landowner Incentive Program (LIP).
- Keep a photo album of the plants and animals you observe on your land. If your camera records date and time, use this feature.
- Find out about tax benefits for conserving your land. In 2008 and 2009, the federal charitable deduction for donating a conservation restriction has been increased.
- Talk to a conservation expert about how to manage your land to protect wildlife or water supplies. If your land is near a public water supply, state grant programs are available for watershed protection funds to the water supplier.
- Businesses can also benefit from conservation tax incentives. Qualified farm and agricultural corporations can take a deduction of up to 100% of annual taxable income for a qualified farm preservation restriction.
- Farmers can receive federal and state grants to return fields to wetlands, create buffers for wildlife, and protect river front areas. For more information, contact your Conservation District or the NRCS/USDA.
- Download our flyer on the Taunton River watershed
To learn more, please contact any of the following conservation professionals:
Wildlands Trust of SE Massachusetts:
Phone: (781) 934-9018
Gabriela Silva or Scott MacFaden
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The Trustees of Reservations
Phone: (508) 636-7501
The Nature Conservancy - Plymouth Office
Phone: (508) 732-0300
The Trust for Public Land - Boston Office
Phone: (781) 259-9500
Bob Ford or Bob Wilber
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Or, email the Taunton River Coalition at SavingLand@savethetaunton.org and we will refer your request to campaign members